Silence of the Lamb Shanks
- 1 can of fava beans
- salt and pepper
- 4 lamb shanks
- grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 14 ozs (1 can) Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 9 cloves diced garlic
- 5 large sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 sweet onion, cut into large slices
♦ Fava Beans with Pancetta and Spinach:
- Remove the outer skin of the fava beans, then soak them in salted water. Let soften in in the salted water for 10-12 hours. Simmer the fava beans in salted water for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sautée the pancetta and garlic.
- Add the fava beans and top with spinach leaves.
- Add broth to wilt the spinach and sauté until tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
♦ Silence of the Lamb Shanks:
- Coat the lamb shanks with grape seed oil and brown them in a large pan. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place seasoned and browned shanks into crock pot and top with the red wine, beef stock, dice tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, and sweet onion.
- Set the crock pot to low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the shanks and plate them with the sauce and fava beans, and pour yourself a nice glass of Sangiovese!
From the Food and Wine Blog: "Silence of the Lamb Shanks"
As seen in Touring & Tasting Magazine