Chicken, Avocado and Fennel Salad
- 1 Each Avocado
- 1/2 cup Grapeseed, Walnut, or Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsps Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Hot Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Chopped fresh fennel fronds
- 3 cups cooked, cooled and diced chicken
- 1 meduim to large fennel bulb, cored and finely diced (at least 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 heads Belgian endive, core removed
- Salt and peper to taste
1. Dice and cook the chicken breasts. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and cool in a refrigerator.
2. Scoop out the flesh from the avocado. Mash it in a bowl with a fork, blend in the oil, lemon juice, mustard and fennel leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fold in the chicken and diced fennel and combine thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. It is important to use one of the lighter oils recommended, others will be too heavy and create an oily taste and mouthfeel.
3. Arrange the endive leaves around a platter or shallow bowl, mound the salad in the center.
From Wine Spectator Magazine, 2009
For more inspiration go to our Food & Wine Blog