Castle Fact Sheet
Download a version of our Fact Sheet.
NAME AND LOCATION OF COMPANY: Castello di Amorosa
4045 Saint Helena Highway
Calistoga, CA 94515
Office: (707) 967-6272
Reservations: (707) 967-6272
NAME OF OWNER / DESIGNER: Dario Sattui
DOORS OPENED TO THE PUBLIC: April 9, 2007
BUSINESS TYPE: Winery; featuring hand-crafted Italian style wines
- Authentically-styled, 13th century medieval Tuscan-style castle
- 15 years under construction
- Medieval designs and construction methods were employed to create the Castle
- 136,000 sq. ft. castle / winery
- 5 defensive towers with battlements
- 1,000 pound hand-hewn doors from Italy
- 107 Rooms (95 devoted to winemaking)
- 8 levels (4 levels underground and 4 above)
- Great Hall with a coffered ceiling (22 ft. high), featuring hand-painted frescoes inspired by Ambrogio Lorenzetti’s “Buon Governo” (Good Government) in Siena, Italy and 500 year-old fireplace
- 12,000 sq. ft. Grand Barrel Room featuring 40 Roman cross-vaulted brick ceilings
- Italian handmade state-of-the-art triple-jacketed fermentation tanks
- All ironwork hand-forged by Italian artisans over open flame
- Over 170 containers of handmade antique bricks and tiles brought over from Europe
- Additional authentic features include a Church, Drawbridge, Courtyard, Watch Tower, Torture Chamber, Loggia, Deep-Well, Secret Passage Ways, and Outdoor Oven
CONSTRUCTION FOREMAN: Paolo Ardito, Lars Nimskov
ARCHITECT: Lail and Associates. Designers: Dario Sattui and Lars Nimskov
TYPES OF WINES: Pinot Grigio, Pinot Bianco, Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer, Rosato di Sangiovese, Pinot Noir, Red Table Blend, Sangiovese, Barbera, Primitivo, Merlot, “Super Tuscan” Blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, Muscat Canelli, Late Harvest Gewürztraminer, Late Harvest Semillon, and Muscat Grape Juice.
OTHER: Castello di Amorosa is host to “Festival del Sole.” Now offers Food and Wine Pairing, and Reserve Wine Pairing with Chocolate.
VISITORS INCLUDED: Madame Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gov. George Pataki, Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Jon Bon Jovi, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Clint Black, Mass. Gov. Deval Patrick, Audra McDonald, Sarah Chang, Sir James Galway, Frederica von Stade, Vida Blue, Gordon Getty, Jr., Robert Redford, and Renee Fleming.